Tuesday, September 28, 2010

What's Wrong?!?!?!?!

 
We have passed the one month mark, and we have managed to keep you alive.  Not saying that I was concerned at all, but you have made it longer than any fish or plant I have ever been responsible for!  

I hoped to have this wealth of fathering knowledge flooding into my brain on a daily basis, but that is just not the case.  The only thing I really know is that nothing can calm you down like your mother!!!  Although I am a proficient swaddler, sometimes that doesn't even work.  There is nothing in life more frustrating to me than when you are having one of your "fits".  I run through the usual remedies, like swaddle, shush, rock, glide, walk, bounce, and drive, but sometimes NONE of those work.  I really want to be a good father to you, but when the only remedy that seems to work is handing you back to your mom, it kind of makes me feel like I am falling short in the father of the year running.  But don't feel bad for me, what I lack in patience with a newborn, I will make up for in math tutoring and sports clinics when you are older...

I have always been good at solving puzzles, but figuring out what is making you scream at the top of your tiny lungs is a complete mystery to me.  Maybe it's gas, but we have all kinds of things that are supposed to make that easier to deal with.  Maybe its something that your mom eats that is passing through to your food making you uncomfortable.  Maybe you are just like me, and you are only crying to be difficult!  Maybe you are pissed that you don't have your own room.  Maybe you feel like you got the shaft in the parent lottery (too soon to tell if that is the case).  Regardless of why you do what you do, you have been a real handful over the past two weeks or so.  Don't get me wrong, you definitely have your good days, but when you are having a bad day...     

On a lighter note, we took you downtown for the first time on Sunday, and you REALLY loved the tall buildings!!!  Just kidding, you slept the whole time.  We came down for Lucas' baptism, and you were well-behaved before church and during church, but after church you got into one of your moods.  That is the first time I have had the pleasure of trying to calm a screaming baby in a restaurant (thanks a lot!!).  You will be happy to hear that I was able to get you calm (by handing you to your mother after 15 frustrating minutes...).

So as good as the first few weeks started for me, I have been in a daddy slump the last two weeks.  Hopefully I am able to get right in the next week or so, because I think your mom is starting to get a bit pissed at my recent ineptitude! 

Till the next time...

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment